Student Fur Design Competition 2021
Canadian Fur Atelier – Atelier de Fourrure Canadien
The Fur Design Competition encourages young designers to develop innovative ways to work with fur, and to explore the versatility and sustainability of this unique, natural material. Participants are invited to create fur pieces that the “20 something” generation would enjoy wearing.
About the Competition
The Fur Design Competition has two stages:
Stage 1: Theme – Future Heritage
- After researching fur trends, entrants design and sketch three fur garments/accessories.
- Garments/accessories can be womenswear, menswear or gender-fluid.
- Garments should be standard industry adult sizing.
- Three looks should be full or total looks in fur and fur accessories.
- The three garment/accessory illustrations must include:
– one all fur or a mix of furs.
– one all seal or seal mixed with other fur.
– one mixed-media combination of furs, textiles or other materials.
- Fur types to use: mink, fox (grey, red, silver or cross), seal, beaver, raccoon, muskrat, coyote, fisher or sable/marten. Other fur types may be incorporated in designs, but the main furs should be chosen from this list.
- Furs can be natural colours or dyed, long-haired or sheared.
- Ten winners will then be chosen and invited, free of charge, by the Fur Council of Canada, Fur Harvesters Auction and other industry organisations, to partake in a weeklong workshop. This will be held in August 2021, hosted at Ryerson University in downtown Toronto, Ontario.
Fur Design Competition Breakdown
All materials must be sent by email to email@example.com by no later than 11:59 PM on January 15, 2021. Any entry which does not include all the required elements by this time will be rejected.
Entrants must submit the following by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Three design illustrations (one per fur garment/accessory look) in full colour, portrait orientation, with a resolution of 300 dpi. JPG or PDF format. Maximum file size per illustration: 2MB when uncompressed.
- One mood/inspiration board, landscape orientation, with a resolution of 300 dpi. Maximum file size: 5MB when uncompressed.
- One text document of between 400 and 500 words, describing the garments/accessories, the design/inspirational rationale, and the target market. Arial font, size 12, double-spaced.
- A personal introduction of about 300 words. Arial font, size 12, double-spaced.
- A full-face photo of the entrant.
- The total size of all files combined must not exceed 15MB when uncompressed.
The panel of judges will hail from across Canada, and include established fashion, accessory and fur industry professionals and other notable influencers. They will select 10 winners, and their decisions will be final.
Judges will be looking for:
- Creativity and imagination
- Technical innovation and comprehension
- Innovative use of fur and fur combinations
- Currency and relevancy
- Sustainable luxury
Winners of the Fur Design Competition will be announced on February 1, 2021.
Stage 2: Winning Designers – Travel and Accommodations
- Travel arrangements for winners will be made by the Fur Council of Canada.
- Winners must provide valid and current government-issued ID to book travel and accommodations.
- Once travel schedules have been finalised, no rescheduling will be permitted.
- All winners must meet participation and eligibility requirements.
Participation and Eligibility
- The Fur Design Competition is open to full-time students and recent graduates (within the last two years). Design training is not mandatory, but should be considered an asset.
- Entrants must be at least 17 years old.
- Entrants must be Canadian citizens currently residing in Canada. Exchange students are not eligible.
- Entrants must enter as individuals. Group entries are not allowed.
- Participating schools, universities and colleges must allow the Fur Council of Canada to use the winners’ names, photographs and likenesses of their design entries for public relations purposes and publication on any of its websites.
- Entrants cannot submit designs submitted to other competitions.
- Entrants who are chosen to proceed to Stage 2 will be required to sign and submit the Certificate of Eligibility and Publicity, Liability, and the use of Intellectual Property Rights Release.
- Entrants proceeding to Stage 2 must be available for the week-long workshop, taking place in Toronto, COVID-19 permitting.
- The rules, terms and conditions outlined here remain subject to modification by FCC without notice, although every effort will be made to alert entrants to any changes at the earliest opportunity.
All winners will receive:
- Return travel to Toronto, and hotel accommodation for five days and four nights.
- A week-long intensive workshop covering apparel trends, fur types, technical training, and the opportunity to build a fur dictionary of types and techniques.
- Breakfast and lunch for the duration of the workshop. (Be sure to notify organisers in advance of any food allergies or special requirements.)
- A per diem.
- A Presto card with transit fare for the week.
- All furs and other materials to create workshop projects.
- A certificate from the Fur Council of Canada acknowledging participation in the workshop.
- Social media coverage on @wearefur and @furcouncil among others, with all works (illustrations and final projects) credited to their creators.
ᐃᓕᓐᓂᐊᖅᑏᑦᒥᖅᑯᓕᖕᓂᑦᐊᓐᓄᕌᓕᐅᕐᓂᑭᓴᐅᑎᔪᑦ 2021 (PDF)
ᑲᓇᑕᒥ ᐊᓐᓄᕌᓕᐅᖅᑏᑦ ᒥᖅᑯᓂᑦ ᐊᓐᓄᕌᓕᐅᕐᕕᖓ poster (PDF)
Welcome to the Canadian Fur Atelier Competition (PDF)
Fur Terminology & Techniques 2020 (PDF)
Fur Trends FW 2019-2020 (PDF)
Canadian Fur Atelier Competition poster (PDF)
“Canadian fur trade unites for design competition”. Truth About Fur, Nov. 19, 2020.